Classic Car Law
Our attorneys advise and represent classic car collectors, classic car dealers and classic car repair shops nationwide in all matters of classic car law, from the acquisition of the vehicle, for example in a classic car auction, to the restoration and use in classic car races, to the successful sale.
The central value-forming factor of a classic car is the degree of its originality and authenticity. As a rule, for example, an original engine accounts for about a quarter of the value of a classic car. The granting of a historic license plate or participation in historic vintage car races or classic rallies (Le Mans Classic, Mille Miglia, Goodwood and many more) also depends decisively on the originality of the vintage car or historic racing vehicle. On the other hand, certain wear parts usually have to be replaced on a regular basis in order to maintain the vehicle's roadworthiness or suitability for racing.
In legal practice, therefore, the question often arises as to whether the purchased vehicle is actually a "classic car" or whether a purchase defect exists and warranty rights (supplementary performance, rescission, reduction and damages) can be asserted. In individual cases, a falsified service booklet or checkbook, a manipulated odometer or a fictitious previous owner or racing history may also constitute a purchase defect or entitle the buyer to rescission due to fraudulent misrepresentation.
Our experts in classic car law advise in particular in the following areas:
- International classic car trade (purchase law, ownership issues, liability for defects, liability for forgeries and replicas).
- Auction law (consignment, auction, settlement, drafting and review of auction conditions, etc.).
- Damage and destruction of classic cars (damage law, settlement of claims, insurance law, etc.).
- Inheritance and anticipated transfer of classic car collections.
- Cultural property law (questions concerning the import, export and placing on the market of vehicles that constitute German "cultural property" as well as the general obligations under the KGSG).
Ausgewählte Vorträge und Veröffentlichungen zum Oldtimerrecht
- "German auction law - a case study", Mackrell International EMEA Conference, 16.11.2018, Brussels, Dr. Roensberg.
- "Legal issues around classic car auctions", 6th German Classic Car Law Day, 22.09.2017, Marburg, German Lawyers Academy, Attorney Dr. Roensberg.
- Best Lawyers - Dr. Louis Roensberg was selected by his peers for inclusion in the 14th Edition 2023 of "The Best Lawyers in Germany" for his work in Art Law (since the 9th Edition 2018).
- Handelsblatt - Dr. Louis Roensberg is listed in "Deutschlands beste Anwälte" 2022 in the German business magazin Handelsblatt (since 2017).
If you have any question, please do not hesitate to call us or write us a message.